Saturday 2 July 2016

Functional Foods - Part Three - Dairy Kefir Cheese

Dairy Kefir is very different to Water Kefir and the thought of drinking a cultured, fizzy (after a second fermentation), dairy product doesn't inspire me too much however cultured cheese does!

At some stage I will give the Dairy Kefir drink a go as there were some really nice flavour combinations for a second fermentation and I will work my way up to making, and trying those!

You can buy Dairy Kefir Grains that multiply, a lot like the Water Kefir Grains do, however I decided to start out with the Mad Millie Dairy Kefir Kit as it comes with some cheese cloth, a 1L Jar a mixing ball and 2 sachets of the Kefir Grain that can be used up to two more times after your initial fermentation.  You can buy replacement sachets, as well as the kits from Mad Millie.  This is also where I buy the artisan salt (I use in recipes that ask for Kosher salt).  If you are interested in starting a food project Mad Millie is a good place to start as they provide fantastic help and guidance with youtube videos and facebook.  There products are good quality and if you follow the instructions you end up with a pretty good product!  I have tried a few of their products and have been a very satisfied customer.

Anyway back to Dairy Kefir Cheese...

This was fantastically easy.  You put the milk in the jar, add the mixing ball and a sachet, put the lid on and shake.  Leave a couple of days then when set, pop into the doubled cheese cloth, tie it to a spoon and hang to dry for a couple more days.

I used normal "blue" milk and ended up with a cheese very much like a cross between feta and sour cream.  I stirred it and added a little salt, actually my hand slipped and I accidentally added a little too much but it still tastes just fine.  You can use this cheese wherever you would usually use cream cheese or in my case I have been using instead of sour cream.

That was my second whoopsie!  My first was not retaining a quarter cup of the mixture so I could make another batch from the same sachet!  I will remember next time as this cheese is fantastic and so easy to make.


1 comment: