Wednesday 18 March 2015

Fleas... Ugh...



Fleas are awful, there's just no other way of saying it. 

I have tried a few different readily available store bought products with mixed results.  Flea Bombs help but I struggle with the thought of releasing the chemicals into the air I breathe and quite pricing for even a small home.  I haven't had too much luck with the store bought carpet powders and don't like the smell too much either.

So this breakout I am going to try a home made version.  From what I read, Borax, Baking Soda and Salt dry out the fleas and eggs.  The oils I chose, Lavender and Eucalyptus are supposed to be very disliked by fleas.

1/3 cup Borax
1/3 cup Baking Soda
1/3 cup Salt
12 drops Lavender
12 drops Eucalyptus
  1. Put all ingredients in a blender to break down the salt and borax until more of a powder than grains
  2. Spoon into a jar
  3. Poke holes in lid of jar to make your own shaker (hammer and nail does the trick nicely!)
  4. Shake all over the carpet
  5. Use a thick bristle (outdoor type) broom and brush into the carpet
  6. Leave for at least 4-5 hours
  7. Vacuum (I found I had to vacuum a couple of times to get all the grit up as the blender I used didn't do the greatest job at turning it to powder!)
  8. Empty Vacuum outside
Hopefully this mix will work but even if it doesn't, my house smells pretty good.

I buy Baking Soda and Borax (as well as the Oils) in bulk from Go Native


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a "keeper"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite part of this mix was how lovely my home smelt after sprinkling this everywhere! Eucalyptus and Lavender is a wonderful scent combination which I think I might have to incorporate into something else down the line as I keep exploring the DIY world.

      Delete