Wednesday 1 April 2015

Simple Cough Drops

These cough drops are incredibly simple to make, just remember to be careful! 
1 Cup of Honey
  1. Add one cup of Honey to a small pot
  2. Bring to the boil on a medium-low heat, stirring continuously
  3. Honey burns quickly so keep a watchful eye as it boils
  4. Reduce to a low heat and continue to boil for 10-20 minutes
  5. If you have a candy thermometer you need to reach 150c, I don't so I dropped a couple of drops into a glass of ice water.  If it hardens you are good to go, if it's still tacky continue heating.
  6. Use a silicon tray or drop onto baking paper (not wax paper)
  7. Wait patiently to harden
  8. Store in a cool, dry place
My first batch did not go well and I could not get it to harden, it may still be too warm outside for it to set.  Not one to waste anything I popped them in the freezer to harden so I could remove from the tray then put them in a couple of containers and will keep them in the freezer.

The good thing is even though they did not set they still dealt to my cough very swiftly.

I will keep trying to get this one right as they worked so well on, what was a incredibly,annoying cough.  I also love the simplicity of just honey.  I would like to see if I can make one with a hint of lemon.  I'll keep investigating but for now, these suit my needs just fine and did the job they needed to do!




I bought my honey in bulk online from Cammell's Honey (based in Clevedon)
this variant is called Natures Nectar and is very very tasty!

My Natures Nectar boiling away!

3 comments:

  1. Wow....I well try this...and yep I have Cammell's Honey...the Cammells are good friends of ours...known them for 35 years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stumbled across the Cammell's website a few weeks ago as I was looking for bee pollen for some future recipes and decided to also try the honey as it is reasonably priced for a 4kg tub. I love the Natures Nectar variant and was hooked after the first taste, the flavour is fantastic and will definitely be buying again, well, as soon as I have used this up for all the fantastic recipes I've been stockpiling!

      Delete
  2. I used to work for them in their honey house when they lived in Mangere back in the 1980s...but then they moved to Clevedon in 2007...my favourite of their honey is Rewarewa

    ReplyDelete