Sunday 22 February 2015

Oil Pulling - A quick Post

What is Oil Pulling?

Well in short its swishing a tablespoon of coconut oil with some essential oils around your mouth for 10-20mins a day in the morning on an empty stomach to help with oral health.  Google it if you want more information but there is a lot of differing opinions on this one.


It started when I had a little bit of a toothache and I was looking for something to help.  I found two things, Clove Oil and Oil Pulling.

Lets start with the Clove Oil.

Drop some drops of Clove Oil onto a cotton bud and rub around the affected area.  Please be careful if you do this, I accidentally dropped some on my lip and well... it went numb!  This took the immediate pain away and I was very, very relieved.

Next up Oil Pulling

I can honestly say I was very unsure of this one.  As many as there are positive reviews there are negative but I decided to investigate for myself.

For the past week I have swished and swirled a spoonful (not a tablespoon though!) of coconut oil with bandits oil then cleaned my teeth as per usual and for all the things I read here is what I have to say:

  • I can not swish a tablespoon of coconut oil as the liquid content doubles!
  • Ten minutes is an extremely long time first thing in the morning (let alone 20min!!)
  • Do this on an empty stomach, sometimes by the 7-8min mark I was feeling a little nauseous
  • My teeth have never felt so clean
  • My tooth doesn't hurt anymore
  • My teeth are not as sensitive as they used to be
  • I can eat chocolate without that ouchie feeling on that one tooth

I'm not sure about all the other comments on the net about what this is or is not supposed to do but for me personally I love the clean feel and the less sensitive teeth.

One of these days I think I'll be brave enough to tackle Remineralizing Toothpaste but I need to do some more research as there are a lot of recipes and opinions on what works and doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment